You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My MIDI controller won't stay connected to my iPhone 15

I recently started playing keyboards for this band. I only own MIDI controllers, not standalone keyboards, and I didn't want to have to bring a laptop every time we do a gig or a rehearsal, so I got this little USB-C hub so I can connect a MIDI controller to my iPhone, along with an audio output and a power source. I've found some synth apps that sound great, but there's one big problem: All I have to do is barely touch my iPhone, and it will suddenly lose its connection to my MIDI keyboard. Sometimes the sounds goes out too, but usually I just loose MIDI. At this point, I have to disconnect and reconnect my keyboard to get it to work again. Actually, I've noticed that the GarageBand app recovers more gracefully than other synth apps I've been using -- it just stops responding for a few seconds and then it reconnects, without me having to physically disconnect and reconnect my keyboard. But I don't like the sounds in GarageBand as well as other synth apps, plus a lot of GB's keyboard sounds have this annoying echo effect that can't be turned off.

But at any rate, even in GB, this connectivity issue makes it unusable in a live setting, and I don't understand why it's happening. Is this a common problem? The only thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with the USB-C hub, but it is brand new. In fact I even did a little experiment to see if there's anything wrong with it -- it has an SD card reader, so I tried playing some audio files directly from an SD card while slightly jostling my phone. It played the media on the SD card perfectly, without interruption. I can also tell you that my MIDI controllers don't have any issue when they're connected to a laptop.

Anyway, this is the USB-C hub I'm using. Is there a different kind that would be more suited to this, or is there maybe a different issue?

iPhone 15

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 7:16 PM

There are no replies.

My MIDI controller won't stay connected to my iPhone 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.