You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Settings different default paper sizes with different printers on Ventura

Shocking that we're up MacOS 13.5.2 and Apple still doesn't realize that users could have MULTIPLE printers connected, each needing different print setting defaults...

Anyway, as others have said on other long-closed posts: I'm running Ventura and am connected to three distinctively different printers, each in need of different default print settings: Epson 11x19 Surecolor, a Brother 8.5 x 11 laser printer, and a 4x6 thermal label printer. I need to toggle between all VERY often. And in the case of the laser and label printer, for each product shipment I create.

There seems NO WAY to set a default paper size for each printer. Printers & Scanners dialog in System Settings does nothing. You can only set an overall default printer and paper size. Though you see a list of printers, when editing each, "default paper size" is not an available option. (first screenshot) So this is not the solution.

When going to any application's print dialog box, you still need to select Page Setup and Printer buttons to select the correct printer and paper size. You would think once you set a custom paper size for a printer, it would "stick", but nope. It will immediately default back to the default paper size you've selected in Settings. This is also not the solution.

I know in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. It would just be such a UI improvement. And maybe it's something simple that we're all missing?

BTW: while we're at it, does anyone know how to remove the long list of paper sizes associated with a printer driver? (see the last screenshot above) Back in the old days, you used to be able to edit/delete those within one of the print driver files? And to clarify, NOT the "Custom Papers".

Thanks for anyone's help.

iMac 27″

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 3:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2024 11:59 AM

You can control these settings via the CUPS web interface.

1) Activate the CUPS (Common Unix Print System) web interface by running the following command in Terminal

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

2) Using Safari, access the web interface to CUPS at

3) Click on Printers, then click on each printer and set the defaults you want

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2024 11:59 AM in response to Jim Curl

You can control these settings via the CUPS web interface.

1) Activate the CUPS (Common Unix Print System) web interface by running the following command in Terminal

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

2) Using Safari, access the web interface to CUPS at

3) Click on Printers, then click on each printer and set the defaults you want

Sep 14, 2024 7:41 PM in response to Jim Curl

Check these files...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompapers.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.plist

And possibly several plists between those 2...

Have you tried setting it up in Text Edit>File>Page Setup>Paper Size>Manage Custom Sizes...

Sep 17, 2024 5:00 PM in response to Jim Curl

D*MN...

I made all the default settings in the CUPS interface and saved.

And at first, I thought this was the answer, but after testing with a number of different apps, the sheet size seems to default back to the last selected, regardless of printer selected. Now I realize that each application might handle printing differently. I suppose if an app showed that the sheet size was "Handled by Driver", these CUPS settings would not apply?

Settings different default paper sizes with different printers on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.