You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Time Machine Issues With Ventura

I have a 2017 21" iMac that I have been using as a Time Machine server for the other Mac's in my home. I repurposed the internal drive as a Time Machine disk and used an external SSD as the boot drive. Unfortunately the boot drive somehow became corrupted and I was unable to boot the machine.

So I booted from an old clone that I had and made a new boot drive on the external SSD using Ventura 13.6.9. Every thing went smoothly until I tried to use Time Machine! Both of the Time Machine locations that I had previously used show up on the list of Time Machine drives however I am totally unable to connect to them.

On one of them I am able to connect to the drive and specify that I want to use the existing backup set, However I then get an error (The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 80.)). I'm not even able to connect to the other location as I get the following error (You do not have the necessary read, write and append privileges on the selected network backup volume.). I have given the 'User' that I connect with read and write privileges within the file sharing section of settings however it never seems to persist despite seemingly working when I go through the process of setting it.

I've read in numerous forum postings that SMB is a total mess in Ventura and it certainly seems to be the case. Does anyone have any fixes that allows Time Machine to be used with Ventura or am I simply better to cut my losses and use Monterey?

Any guidance would be much appreciated as I have been tearing my hair out with this for the past two days!

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 2:44 PM

1 reply

Sep 14, 2024 7:18 PM in response to NewMBPUser22

Is your TM volume FAT32 oe ExFat? Why would SMB be involved???

See this...

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/473101/time-machine-osstatus-error-80-english

Is the  the sparsebundle "locked"?

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/1c3xoqh/osstatus_error_80_mac_time_machine_synology/

Double click on the sparsebundle file to open it. Wait 15-20 seconds to see if a window that looks similar to example below will appear on the desktop...

Time Capsule / Time Machine Error that th… - Apple Community

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

Time Machine Issues With Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.