You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I want to install Windows on my MacBook Air M1. How Can I do that?

I want to install windows on MacBook air M1 using dual boot so how can i do that please provide me the proper steps and the way so i can do that

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 12:10 PM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2024 12:58 PM in response to vismay1624

Microsoft Support – Options for using Windows 11 with Mac® computers with Apple® M1®, M2™, and M3™ chips

You cannot run regular Intel versions of Windows on an Apple Silicon Mac. Apple Silicon chips use a different type of machine language than Intel and AMD chips do.

Microsoft has a special version of Windows called Windows 11 for ARM. You can run it inside of a Parallels Desktop virtual machine, and it has Intel emulation code to let it run some off-the-shelf Wintel applications. There would be the overhead and limitations of running Windows inside of a virtual machine – and of Windows having to emulate an Intel processor instead of running Intel applications natively at full speed.

Microsoft does not offer Windows 11 for ARM for use as a dual-boot operating system on Apple Silicon Macs – and Apple does not offer dual-boot support (Boot Camp) for them.

M1 MacBook Airs came with either 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM. I don't know how much yours has, but note that Parallels recommends having 16 GB of RAM or more for best performance.

I want to install Windows on my MacBook Air M1. How Can I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.