You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I am experiencing multiple issues on my iMac desktop

recently i had cause to reset my 2017 iMac to factory settings, and reinstall everything i needed. i was really looking forward to a lean, mean, computing machine. but i was cruelly disappointed. so many problems. here are just the Desktop ones. i'll number them for ease of reading.

previously this machine was running OS 13.0. now, and this was not my choice, it's running OS 13.6.9. this may or may not be relevant, as may the factory reset itself.

1. unexplained differences between user accounts

there are three, one admin a/c, and two user a/cs. on this (user) a/c, the one i use most of the time, and only on this a/c, on the Desktop, disks appear with their disk size and free space. this has never happened before. presumably there's a setting, as there are instances where it is set off, but i'm ****** if i can find it! i certainly never set it, and i'd not do so as a choice.

2. things moving around on the Desktop

i put things where i want them to be for ease of use, as i'm sure everyone does, but for me at least, Apple keeps moving them around! it's beyond irritating! why does it do it? can it be stopped? if it matters, it also only happens on this user a/c, and it only happens with disks and servers etc, not with files and folders. but i only have disks and aliases on my Desktop.

loss of Menu bar

3. the secondary monitor has lost its menu bar, again in this a/c only. i need it back, please. help! not sure if this is a Desktop problem, but it certainly effects it. i've tried logging out and back in, i've tried a Restart, and finally i've tried the old swictch it off and on again method. nothing helped.

thanks for reading.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 7:29 AM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2024 8:38 AM in response to randomname47

#1 Click on the desktop to focus the Finder, then go to the menu View - Show View Options (or click cmd-J). Click "Show item info".

Matt

show hard drive capacity on desktop - Apple Community

#2 Same place but Sort by None.

#3 Click on the Apple menu and select System Settings. Choose Displays and then click Arrange. Click on the white bar at the top of one of the screens in the window and drag it across to the other. That moves the menu bar from one screen to the other and makes that one the primary display.

In Mission Control...

How to show menu bar on all spaces? - Apple Community

Dock...

https://macpaw.com/how-to/show-dock-on-all-screens#:~:text=If%20you%20want%20to%20show,should%20move%20to%20that%20display.

Sep 14, 2024 10:58 AM in response to BDAqua

thanks BDAqua.

#1, that's great, that works a treat. but i never set it in the first place. didn't even know it was there. Apple randomly changes settings, and i hate it so much. why does it happen? why are my settings not safe? no-one ever seems to discuss this issue, though it's the thing i hate most about Apple, and i doubt i'm alone in this. if they can't be consistent, what is the point of them?!

#2, it's already set to Sort by none, and stuff still moves around. but only on this user.

because of the problem of Spaces' pseudo-mirroring (see another thread of mine), i feel like i have no choice but to create an entirely new user, and copy everything over.

#3, sorry, i didn't explain myself very well. i want the menu bar on both monitors. it always used to be in OS 3.0.0, but it isn't in OS 13.6.9. how do i get it back without losing the one on the main monitor? i don't want the Dock on the second monitor, i don't even want it on the first one, but i have no choice. thanks.

I am experiencing multiple issues on my iMac desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.