You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers highlighting help

I am trying to highlight the largest value in a constantly growing column. For example in the screenshot the highlighted cell B3 is currently the largest value in that column, however in the future a total of 20 may be entered and that now will be the one that requires highlighting automatically.

Hoping someone can help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Sep 13, 2024 7:27 AM

5 replies

Sep 14, 2024 4:53 AM in response to L3roy

L3roy wrote:

Hi SGIII,
I only seem to be getting the footer cell highlighting and not the actual cell within the column that is the highest

That means you have highlighting rule only in the cell in the Footer Row.

Instead, you need to apply the rule to the body cells, here B2:B9.

So first select those cells and redo steps 3 and 4.

SG

Sep 13, 2024 10:37 AM in response to L3roy

On the Mac you can do it like this:

1. Set that last row as a Footer Row.
  2. Put =MAX(B) in column B of that row, here B10
  3. Select all the body cells in that column, here B2:B9
  4. Click format and in the Cell tab at the right add the rule shown.

(you need to click the arrow-to-box icon to get the entry field to pop up; there you can click the cell with the MAX formula and Numbers will add the reference automatically, after which you click the green checkmark to accept it).

Now when you add new values and rows the highest value in that column will be highlighted.

SG

Sep 13, 2024 8:43 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SGIII,

Thank you so much. I am definitely a lot closer to getting the outcome I am after.

Being very new to this I appear to be doing something incorrect despite your great description. I only seem to be getting the footer cell highlighting and not the actual cell within the column that is the highest value????

I am obviously missing a step and hoping you may see the obvious error I am making.

Regards

Numbers highlighting help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.