You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I set aside my AirPort Extreme and tried using EERO routers. Now I’m switching back.

My AirPort Extreme was previously setup with a 2.4 mhz and a 5 mhz band. After trying the EERO’S extensively and working with their customer support, I concluded that they would NOT work with HomeKit. I sent them back. I’m trying to reset my AirPort Extreme to have two bands with the same names and passwords as all of my several devices have been reset painfully to these values.

The Airport never asked me or let me input a password for the 5 mhz band!

Now the Airport insists that the 5mhz band is the default! Since it has no password I cannot login. I can reset the Airport but how do I set it up without this happening again?

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 1:51 PM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2024 2:34 PM in response to ssj152

The Airport never asked me or let me input a password for the 5 mhz band!

That would be because the AirPort has no setting for this. It uses the same password for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz......no matter whether both bands are using the same wireless network name or different wireless network names.

Now the Airport insists that the 5mhz band is the default!

I don't understand what you mean by "default" since there are no settings on the AirPorts to make either the 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz band a "default" for the AirPort.

If you have been messing with the settings on the AirPort and enabling and then disabling the option to use a separate name for the 5 GHz band.....you are going to need to reset the AirPort and start over again with a new setup.

After the AirPort has been reset, the "default" setting on the AirPort is to produce a dual band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless network that uses the same wireless network name and password for both bands. It will stay that way if you do not make any additional changes to the wireless settings.

If you use this setting though, you cannot "direct" any Wi-Fi device to connect to a given band. It is up to the Wi-Fi device to choose the band with which it will connect.

Since the 2.4 GHz band signals are stronger than 5 GHz signals, a 5 GHz capable device may connect to the slower 2.4 GHz band, so the device may be noticeably "slower". Unfortunately, nothing you can do about this if you want to continue to have both bands use the same wireless network name.

It is possible that some older 2.4 GHz only Wi-Fi devices will not be able to connect to the AirPort's dual band network. In cases like this, you have no option but to assign different names to each band and then "point" the Wi-Fi device at the 2.4 GHz network name.

Sep 12, 2024 3:10 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I'm using HomeKit with Meross devices. They do not customarily originate traffic but have to be made known in the HomeKit app.

When I setup my AirPort Extreme I setup 2 bands, 2.4 MHz, and 5 MHz. Now the router advertises itself with the name of the 5 MHz band!

I'm going to reset the Airport Extreme and start over.

Thanks for your assistance!

I set aside my AirPort Extreme and tried using EERO routers. Now I’m switching back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.