You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers : Mac : Compound Rules including 'OR', 'AND' for conditional formatting of cells

Hey!

I have a list of some 100 texts that i need to conditionally format in Numbers.

It would be super helpful if i could simply put an 'OR' condition in the rules themselves..

But on finding no obvious way of doing that, i started adding each text as a single rule (Very tedious).

After rule #15, i see this way has a limit :')

Is there any way of adding 'OR', 'AND' operators in the rules?

I don't want to add another column to do this operation via formula..

(Eg - I would ideally like to combine all the acids in one single rule, since the formatting of all acids would be the same.)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 7:39 AM

1 reply

Sep 12, 2024 8:08 AM in response to electroQted

How many colors are looking to use?

When you have too many the effect can be clutter not clarification. I would be confused by 25!.

Listing Conditional Highlighting rules one after another has an implicit OR. I don't think you can do an AND. But of course you could build complex logic directly into formulas in cells and use rules to highlight those cells according to the results of the formulas.

To reduce the number of rules you may be able to make used of the other options for Text, in particular Contains...

SG

Numbers : Mac : Compound Rules including 'OR', 'AND' for conditional formatting of cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.