You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Search--but not replace--in selected column

I found the shortcut for search and replace within a selected column, but...what if you only want to search? For example, my research log includes 1,000+ entries. I need to manually review all citations in Column Q that include the words "kirk session." Don't want to change them; just take a quick look.

(Tried editing the shortcut linked above, but couldn't get it to function properly, drats.)

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 9:25 AM

9 replies

Sep 12, 2024 10:43 AM in response to Badunit

@Badunit,

Soooo...a search for "kirk" only works if "kirk" is the only word in a cell?

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but in my mind, a search for "kirk:"

• Would hit on kirk cousins, kirk session, kirk register(provided "kirk" has a space after it.)
  • Might exclude kirkyard (as part of a different word)

If yes, the Shortcut won't work. As noted in the OP, the column I'd like to search to contains source citations (i.e., lots of text).

Sep 12, 2024 6:35 AM in response to paperqueen

Here is this shortcut similar to the 'Find Replace in Selection' shortcut to which you linked:

Find Occurrences in Selection.

A filter is better if you expect a large number of "hits" and just want to view those rows.

This shortcut can be better than a filter in situations where you want to cycle through and view the values in their original context in the table (i.e. still see the rows above and below the ones that contain your search term).

Unlike the built-in Find and Replace in Numbers, this shortcut searches only in the range you have selected rather than the entire document.

SG

Search--but not replace--in selected column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.