You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I have a chart with a lot of data points. I would like to find the actual data source in my table.

Say that I wanted to find the location of this data point in my source table. Can I do this or not?

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 6:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 9:09 AM

There is no way I can think of to click on a point and have it show you the corresponding cell in the table.

If you had only a few points you could turn on value labels (X&Y) and it would tell you the X and Y for all the points. But it would be a total mess with so many points.

You could do it the opposite way where you select the data point in the table and it "highlights" it on the chart.

The series that will be the "highlight" needs to be order 1 so it comes out on top.

Formula in all data cells of column D =IF(E,C,"")

Hide the one column. Make sure "show hidden data" is selected for the chart.

Put a checkmark on the rows that you want highlighted.

If you select several checkbox cells or a range of them, you can use the spacebar to check/uncheck them at the same time vs clicking on each one.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2024 9:09 AM in response to thesheet

There is no way I can think of to click on a point and have it show you the corresponding cell in the table.

If you had only a few points you could turn on value labels (X&Y) and it would tell you the X and Y for all the points. But it would be a total mess with so many points.

You could do it the opposite way where you select the data point in the table and it "highlights" it on the chart.

The series that will be the "highlight" needs to be order 1 so it comes out on top.

Formula in all data cells of column D =IF(E,C,"")

Hide the one column. Make sure "show hidden data" is selected for the chart.

Put a checkmark on the rows that you want highlighted.

If you select several checkbox cells or a range of them, you can use the spacebar to check/uncheck them at the same time vs clicking on each one.

I have a chart with a lot of data points. I would like to find the actual data source in my table.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.