You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMovie keyboard commands not working in fullscreen mode

I'm running a new installation of iMovie 10.4.2 on a new Studio with macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, and when I start playback of a project in fullscreen mode, whether via Command-Shift-F or using the player control, all basic keyboard commands stop working (e.g., spacebar to stop and start, \ to start from the beginning, or esc to exit fullscreen mode). Any key press results in the default (Boop) alert sound. I can only use the player controls to stop/start, exit fullscreen, etc. When I'm not in fullscreen, the keyboard commands work as expected.

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 2:18 PM

3 replies

Sep 10, 2024 10:08 PM in response to lardofdorkness

Hi,

I am using an earlier version of iMovie (10.1.12) on Mojave operating system. On my system the commands that you mention work fine when in full screen mode.

Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. (To reopen your old library close iMovie and go to your Movie folder or wherever you have your old iMovie library stored. Double click on the library’s icon. 

iMovie will open in that library.) Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Or possibly the problem is confined to just one project. Try opening a different project and see if the commands work there.

-- Rich

Sep 11, 2024 8:36 AM in response to Rich839

Rich, thank you for the suggestions. It seems to have cured itself without any specific intentional action on my part. I did discover through experimentation that holding down fn and then pressing \ would restart the video at the beginning, and fn plus spacebar would stop and start playback. However, fn plus esc would not exit fullscreen. Everything seems to be working normally now though.

iMovie keyboard commands not working in fullscreen mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.