You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can't insert a page from a file into pdf

With a pdf opened in Preview, I go to Edit > Insert > Page from file... which opens the window where I can see my file is available to Open; it is a file made in Pages. I select it, click Open: selection window closes, and nothing has been inserted into the pdf.

Next I tried the drag-and-drop method (which is what I usually use): nothing happens when I release the file.

I have been having to convert the Pages files into pdf files before I can insert them into a pdf document.

Is there an option I haven't set properly, or is this a bug in the software?

This is a new laptop running Sonoma 14.6.1. My previous laptop (2012 vintage) was running Catalina.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 1:03 PM

3 replies

Sep 10, 2024 4:15 PM in response to Grhm900

It is misleading that the file chooser that Preview provides when attempting Edit > Insert Page From File also shows Pages documents instead of just PDFs. Preview cannot open Pages documents and selecting one does nothing. It must be a PDF document that will be inserted immediately after the selected thumbnail or open PDF page.

A cmd+Z (or Edit menu > Undo) will reverse the PDF insertion.

Sep 11, 2024 2:32 AM in response to Grhm900

The PDF internal structure and that of a Pages document are entirely different and there would be no means to insert a Pages document into a PDF via any means. One can still open a Pages document in Apple's Preview (at least on macOS Monterey from which I am writing this) but Preview is no longer on the Finder Open With menu when right-clicking the Pages document.

Can't insert a page from a file into pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.