You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unwanted auto-resize of columns in PAGES

In a "Pages" document, with tables, when changing a value inside one of the table-cells, the column resizes by itself.

Is it a bug or a feature? I couldn't find where to prevent it from happening (settings and menus).

Even after resizing all rows and columns manually to my needs and liking, it still occurs.

Even after unchecking the option "Resize rows to fit cell content" in the "Table" tab of the document toolbars side, it still occurs.

Even after unchecking the option under menu Format > Table > Resize Columns to Fit Content (or the twin option: Format > Table > Resize Rows to Fit Content), it still occurs.

Any idea why it happens?

Any idea how can I avoid it from happening?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 10:09 AM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2024 3:35 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

First, in answer to your question, nothing.

I tried to recreate the problem with the simplest steps and could not.

New Doc, text text enter text.. , insert Table (from toolbar), adjust columns width, adjust document/page/printer.

After that step, the current table remain same size and justifies to left.

I adjust column sizes further, stretch to right... the problem does not recreate.

I understand now it might be unique to my document. I am going to create it all again from scratch and see.

Not a complicated document, nothing fancy, that's how it looks:

Sep 13, 2024 5:06 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks for picking it up Ian.

Both options you listed are familiar and well in use.

There is a bug/feature causing a column to expand when I put my cursor in it, and then change/delete/assign a value (text or numbers alike). It may occur upon putting the cursor in the cell, value change, exiting the cell (putting the cursor elsewhere in the doc.), or two or all three of them.

Always Column-size auto-changes.

Not necessarily to even fit the content (i.e. the content is not long enough to require it).

In my opinion it possibly could do with another "feature" that auto-changes column sizes when adjusting another column on the same table. Kind of, auto-fit to page's width.

I set up a table, carefully and accurately. Few tables on the same page, text combined before and after.

Page setup and printer/page margins, all addressed and used, headers footers, styles... All in use. Menu options (Format>Table...) adjusted.

Document is very basic, it was created from scratch, not imported from Word or others.

To summarize plainly: The columns Auto-Resize in an unwanted and unnecessary way. It's happening by itself.

Sep 13, 2024 10:50 PM in response to cohalon

Hi cohalon

cohalon wrote:

In my opinion it possibly could do with another "feature" that auto-changes column sizes when adjusting another column on the same table. Kind of, auto-fit to page's width.

Auto-fit to page width is the default action when deleting or adding columns in a Pages table.

What are you doing that changes that default action?

Regards,

Ian.

Unwanted auto-resize of columns in PAGES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.