You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

why cant i use command with number keys on mac book pro

cmd z, cmd s are active and the option key can be used with numbers and numbers can also be used but i cant use cmd with number keys

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 10:08 AM

12 replies

Sep 10, 2024 11:27 AM in response to sifanr

Are using a keyboard that does not have a + on it somewhere already? What keyboard are you using in System Preferences/Keyboard/Input Sources (or the equivalent location if you are using a more recent Mac OS)?

I was not aware Mac OS had a way to map keystroke combinations to characters/symbols, only to menu items. Is this something in System Preferences or is it an app?

Sep 10, 2024 11:40 AM in response to sifanr

If you go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Input Sources (or the equivalent location if you are using a more recent Mac OS) you can see what characters are mapped to each key, including when using option, shift, and option-shift. If you select the box for "show input menu in menu bar" you see the same thing by clicking on an icon on the menu bar. It will be an icon on the right side of the main menu bar at the top of the screen.

I looked at a bunch of keyboards and all I saw had a + somewhere. Not to say there isn't one without the + but I didn't run across it.

Sep 10, 2024 1:22 PM in response to sifanr

What software/app/setting are you using in your attempt to turn Cmd-4 into + ? I am not aware of anything in Mac OS that lets one create key combinations that map to characters, only to menu items.

There are third-party apps that will allow you to remap keys on your keyboard. They let you create keyboard layouts like those you see in System Preferences. Ukelele is one. I have not used any of them. I don't think you can use Cmd or Control but you can use option, shift, or option-shift (just like with all the built-in keyboard layouts).

Sep 10, 2024 10:17 AM in response to sifanr

It isn't quite clear what you're asking...

Are you saying you can or you can not 'use cmd with number keys'?

What is it you're trying to do? What do you expect, say, Cmd-1 to actually do?

As far as I can see there are no standard menu commands that map to Cmd-n, so I wouldn't expect this to do anything under normal circumstances, hence my confusion.

Sep 11, 2024 2:29 AM in response to sifanr

sifanr wrote:

I can't use cmd with number keys. I wanted to make cmd-4 for + but it didn't work

Apple doesn't use cmd to produce characters lilke +, ?,!. Only normal, shift, option and option shift. You should be able to make + directly from your keyboard without using command. What language keyboard are you using? On a US keyboard, you use Shift to make those characters.

If you want to remap keys, a good app is Ukelele.

why cant i use command with number keys on mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.