You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Spotlight Search works in Finder but Searching within apps (e.g. Notes, Mail, Calendar, Settings) does not work

I am running MacOS 14.6.1 on an M1 macbook pro with 16 GB RAM.

All software is up to date.

I can't search within apps. For example, if I search for "keyboard" in the settings app, there is no change in the settings window. If I search within Notes, all of the notes disappear as soon as a type a single letter. Mail does not return results.

I have re-indexed Spotlight, toggled all spotlight permissions, restarted numerous times, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 8:53 AM

8 replies

Sep 12, 2024 9:02 AM in response to 3point3

Thanks Everyone for the help.

I have tried setting up another user account, starting from safe mode, and rebuilding spotlight. In all cases, including using a different user account started in safe mode, the search is not working at all in native apps.

It is possible that that this could be from profiles installed by my job but I am not sure. I have reached out to the IT people and have not heard back.

Spotlight Search works in Finder but Searching within apps (e.g. Notes, Mail, Calendar, Settings) does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.