You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

No audio since updating to OS 14.6.1 unless I restart

If I'm starting from the MacBook having been in sleep mode, sessions open normally and I can see levels playing on all the faders, but there's no sound. The only thing that brings it back is restarting. Thoughts? Solutions?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 6:22 AM

9 replies

Sep 10, 2024 7:14 AM in response to Jesilv

i will gladly chime in on this, but will need more information from you with regards to any peripherals you have connected as well as any software bundles you’ve installed, as those may have caused a conflict with the Mac OS native audio driver. Additionally, here are a few troubleshooting steps that may help resolve the issue:

1. Audio Interface and Peripherals: Check if you have an external audio interface or other audio-related peripherals connected. Sometimes after the Mac wakes from sleep, certain external devices may fail to reconnect properly with the system, leading to audio issues. Try disconnecting and reconnecting your audio interface or external device and see if the issue persists.

2. Audio MIDI Setup: It may help to open Audio MIDI Setup (found in Applications > Utilities) to check whether your default audio output device is correctly selected after waking from sleep. Sometimes, the system may revert to ‘Internal Speakers’ instead of the interface you’ve been using.

3. Core Audio Reset: Instead of rebooting your entire system, you could try restarting the Core Audio driver in Logic Pro. You can do this by toggling the Core Audio setting: Go to Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio, then disable and re-enable the “Enable Core Audio” option. This may refresh the driver and bring the audio back without requiring a full restart.

4. Energy Saver Settings: Adjusting your Mac’s energy saver settings to prevent the computer from going to sleep while connected to peripherals could prevent this from happening in the future. Go to System Settings > Displays > Advanced, and check the options related to “Prevent automatic sleep when display is off.” This can help with keeping external devices, like audio interfaces, consistently connected.

5. Software or Plugin Conflicts: If you’ve recently installed any third-party plugins or software bundles, one of them may be causing a conflict with macOS’s native audio driver. Try temporarily removing or disabling these plugins to see if the problem resolves itself.

6. macOS Updates: Finally, macOS updates, like the one you installed, occasionally create conflicts with third-party drivers or peripherals. You may want to check if there are any firmware or driver updates available for your audio interface or other peripherals, as they sometimes need to be updated after a macOS update.

If you can provide details about your setup, including any external devices and software, I’d be happy to assist further.

Sep 10, 2024 8:17 AM in response to Jesilv

Thanks, Justin, for so much detail. Responses below:

1 - I'm connected to a UA Apollo Twin X. Shutting that off and restarting without rebooting the Mac doesn't help.

2 - Audio midi setup always shows connection to the Apollo. There's one other app shown as getting simultaneous audio, but deactivating that doesn't fix the problem.

3 - toggling Core Audio didn't help

4 - Energy Saver Settings - this doesn't happen while I'm working. It's coming back to open a session either following a break or overnight after I've manually put things into sleep mode

5 - No new plugins added before the issue came up

6 - Not seeing any notices for firmware/driver updates for the Apollo

Happy to provide any other details that might be helpful. Thanks again.

Sep 10, 2024 9:38 AM in response to Jesilv

Hmm ok. Let’s see.

If I were in your shoes, I would run the latest version of a program called Onyx by Titanium Software. It’s a highly reliable system maintenance tool that activates critical macOS maintenance scripts and can clear up any lingering file shenanigans that sometimes occur after an OS update or when third-party software is installed.

Onyx is free to use and doesn’t include any of the intrusive ads or bloatware that you often find with other similar maintenance apps. I’ve used it for years, and it’s been a lifesaver when things go haywire or when I need to troubleshoot and narrow down potential causes of an issue. It could be a good next step for you in diagnosing the problem.

it’s a pretty straightforward app that also provides additional under the hood system tools and reports.

if all fails. My next suggestion would be to create a new user account and see if that fixes it.

let me know!

No audio since updating to OS 14.6.1 unless I restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.