You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Upgrade path through Pages versions within Sierra

I've been running Pages 7.1 on Sierra (12.6) with many documents used in math teaching. Now I want to upgrade pages as far as I can get, at least to 8.1 and hopefully 9, to have the option of copying page selections by thumbnail from master documents to rehash some lessons. I gather that ctrl-click option on a thumbnail is not available until v. 9 ? I'm puzzled where it was said (by Viking OSX - I think) that one can't do a direct Pages or maybe Work upgrade from Pages 7 without intervening upgrade steps through to 8.1. What risk would I take to try and install Work 9.3 for example (presuming it contains Pages 9.3 ?) given that I have Pages 7.1 (I wouldn't want to disturb my version if an upgrade fails)?

The daily update-check made by my OS has not said there's an upgrade available to me for Pages 7, but maybe I misunderstand its function: maybe it just checks for OS upgrades; but even there it should say there's an upgrade to 10.13, right? Anyway, if it is true, I guess I could try to upgrade the OS to its max available High Sierra (it's a late 2011 MacBook Pro) . But if not, what upgrade path steps should I take to get this one desired function in Pages?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 2:10 PM

1 reply

Sep 10, 2024 6:33 AM in response to geardoid

If you never personally installed Pages from the Mac App Store at any time since Oct 2013, then you cannot get any version of Pages from Apple unless you have macOS Ventura or later which qualifies for Pages v14.1 (at present time). Your MacBook Pro is likely too old to do so.

The Mac App Store Update panel will show no newer versions of Pages available to you. If the first paragraph does not apply, you might be able to get Pages v7.2 from the Mac App Store by pressing the option key concurrent with the Purchases toolbar item on the Mac App Store application. Even if you upgraded your Mac to macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), the last compatible version of Pages you could get would be v8.1. For a Mojave (10.14.6) upgrade, the last compatible version of Pages would be v10.1.

Until early Fall 2013, Apple sold the full installer iWork '09 DVD. The iWork 9.3 updater replaces the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote applications from the DVD installation with the last available versions: Pages v4.3, Numbers v2.3, and Keynote v5.3. In Oct 2013, Apple released an entirely incompatible rewrite of Pages v5, Numbers v3, and Keynote v6. The first installation of these Oct 2013 or later applications made them the default applications, and the iWork '09 applications were moved into a separate subfolder in the Applications folder.

Upgrade path through Pages versions within Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.