You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Numbers Intrate Function Malfunctioning

I have been trying to use the Intrate function in my spreadsheet but as far as I can tell it always returns the wrong answer. For instance if you invest $100 at 10% annual interest you should receive at the end of 5 years $161.051. So I code this problem with Intrate function as follows INTRATE("9/8/2019","9/8/2024",100,161.05,0) which returns a value of 12.21% which is WRONG. You can verify that $100 invested for years should yield $161.051 by simply doing the following multiplication $100*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.1 with your calculator. Has anyone else run into this problem and know what the solution is? As far as I can tell the Intrate function is malfunctioning. Thanks a bunch for any help you can give.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 8, 2024 9:38 PM

8 replies

Sep 9, 2024 9:35 AM in response to RobCJohnson69

RobCJohnson69 wrote:

give it a present value (PV) of $100 and a future value (FV) of $161.051 and 5 years as the term it returns 10% as the annual compound interest rate which is the correct answer

If you want to use a built-in function then RATE comes the closest. It is most often used in situations with periodic cash flows (which you don't have) and seems to introduce a small rounding error when you set the periodic cash flow to 0 in this example.

IRR also can produce the same result though you need to have cells to hold cash flows, and put 0 in them.

INTRATE is typically used for discounted securities (often with short maturities) that have no periodic cash flows and is therefore not suitable here.

I typically use the general formula for CAGR, also sometimes called "geometric mean rate," as suggested by muguy above and illustrated below.

Note that all these finance functions and formulas have internal assumptions about reinvesting, which may or may not precisely model the real world. When you look under the hood things quickly get confusing and complex, even to practitioners. That's how some of us finance guys make money!

=(F2/A3)^(1/G3)−1

SG

Sep 9, 2024 4:17 AM in response to RobCJohnson69

The RATE function does not seem to be quite as accurate for this purpose as doing it with the simple math formula that muguy provided. It probably uses iteration because the purpose of the function is for a more complicated situation. I'd use the math formula.

RATE(5,0,−100,161.051) gives 9.99999999%

The math formula gives an exact 10%

Sep 8, 2024 10:28 PM in response to RobCJohnson69

The formula is working as expected. Intrate returns the effective annual interest rate for a security that pays interest at the end of a fixed time. So, using i = Prt you get $100 * 12.21% * 5 =$61.05

see Numbers - Function list - Apple (AU)

you need compound interest rate, =P*(1+R/T)^(N*T)

P - principal

R - rate

T - Times compounded per year

N - number of years

Sep 8, 2024 10:33 PM in response to muguy

So you are saying it does NOT compute the COMPOUND interest rate? 12.21% would be simple interest i.e., no compounding. 10% would be the compound interest rate. So what function would you use to compute the compound interest rate? Rate seems to assume you make a monthly payment to an account. If neither intrate or rate do compound interest I don't know how you do it.

Sep 8, 2024 10:58 PM in response to muguy

FV gives the future value not the compound interest rate. I want a function that computes compound interest. In other words a function that if you give it a present value (PV) of $100 and a future value (FV) of $161.051 and 5 years as the term it returns 10% as the annual compound interest rate which is the correct answer. The way you described intrate it does no compounding. It simply takes the interest received of $61.05 and divides by 5 to give a simple interest rate (no compounding) of 12.21%. I want a function that returns the compound interest rate given PV and FV. I cannot find one to do that in the Numbers spreadsheet application. I can do it with my financial calculator

Apple Numbers Intrate Function Malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.