You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

PowerBook G4 17inch. Sell or Recycle?

I have an old Powerbook G4. Still works but battery won't charge, so only works while plugged in.

Is there any market in selling it and what could I get? Or should I just recycle it at Apple Store?

I have downloaded all the data I want to save, but have no idea of how to permanently wipe my data off the machine.

If I recycle at Apple, is it safe (in terms of they will ensure all data is totally wiped or they will destroy the machine)?

I am in London, UK. Thank you!

Posted on Sep 8, 2024 11:56 AM

2 replies

Sep 8, 2024 5:27 PM in response to Dontknowverymuchatall

The best way to determine a market value is to search an online auction site (such as eBay) for the model in question, with a filter set to show sold items only.

This Mac would have FireWire ports, which can be of interest in connection with old digital camcorders, etc.

You should always erase the hard disk (and re-install the operating system, if possible) before selling the computer.

Which exact model/year is it (see list below)? Operating system version? Do you have access to any installation/system discs?

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html

PowerBook G4 17inch. Sell or Recycle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.