You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Poster Frames/Thumbnail Generation

After finding out much to my dismay that Final Cut Pro does not natively export files with a thumbnail, I was told in the FCP forum that Compressor handles this easily. I purchased Compressor, followed the directions for setting a poster frame, and exported multiple files only to find that this method also does not seem to create a thumbnail preview of my videos so that I can publish them to social media channels without presenting a blank, black screen.

What am I doing wrong? This seems like such a simple thing to do yet I remain stymied.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 8, 2024 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 9:58 AM

stephenpeterson wrote:
. . . exported multiple files only to find that this method also does not seem to create a thumbnail preview of my videos so that I can publish them to social media channels without presenting a blank, black screen.

Check the ingest procedure at the site(s) you are uploading to.

To change the thumbnail on YouTube, for example, see:

https://youtu.be/5K4fbyl5Y3M?si=XslS6M4Q270cQ6qD

Vimeo, also allows you to set the display thumbnail after uploading the file. Not sure about the other social media sites as I don't upload to them.

MtD

MTD

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2024 9:58 AM in response to stephenpeterson

stephenpeterson wrote:
. . . exported multiple files only to find that this method also does not seem to create a thumbnail preview of my videos so that I can publish them to social media channels without presenting a blank, black screen.

Check the ingest procedure at the site(s) you are uploading to.

To change the thumbnail on YouTube, for example, see:

https://youtu.be/5K4fbyl5Y3M?si=XslS6M4Q270cQ6qD

Vimeo, also allows you to set the display thumbnail after uploading the file. Not sure about the other social media sites as I don't upload to them.

MtD

MTD

Sep 9, 2024 3:00 AM in response to stephenpeterson

Editing custom movie poster frames or thumbnails works for me in Compressor and ffmpeg and Finder (Finder uses a different metadata for this, though).

But sharing or exporting such movies to other platforms and social media sites currently does not seem to always/never respect those poster frames and they usually grab the very 1st frame (that might be black) or some other frame from the start or middle of the movie as a poster frame.

Sep 9, 2024 8:12 AM in response to stephenpeterson

stephenpeterson wrote:

Still, stunning that this seemingly simple technological issue has not been adequately resolved.

Yes, sadly movie metadata is still a nonstandard mess. It is no wonder that little things like poster frames do not work when even dates and locations, and also descriptions, keywords etc are still a wild west with various companies pushing their own ideas. Image metadata is not perfect but much better.

Poster Frames/Thumbnail Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.