You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final cut pro 10.8 keeps crashing

I have been using final cut pro for years, but only recently have I started to experience the following issues (Probably since the recent 10.8 update).

The problem is when going through clips, either in the project timeline or media browser, I may get an issue where I select a clip and then it doesn't play the video as usual, just the audio for a second, and then nothing. This happens roughly every 20 mins and usually forces me to have to close and then reopen the app. Half the time I quit FCP when this issue arrises, the app doesn't quit - just says 'Cancelling background tasks' for the longest time, so I end up force quitting the app. Another thing to note is that when I have this issue with the clips no longer playing, it can't render anything, even when manually clicking render for a selected clip.

This issue happens on my M1 MacBook Pro 16" and my intel MacBook Pro.

Does anyone else have this issue? Are Apple aware of this bug? Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 8, 2024 5:09 AM

3 replies

Sep 8, 2024 5:27 AM in response to Notorynchus

Start by deleting preferences. To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting the application and click Delete Custom Settings. The application will start with default settings and open an “Untitled” library. Adjust the settings, reopen the library you were working, and see how it works now.

If the problem persists: Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

Final cut pro 10.8 keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.