You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers don't count unchecked boxes of hidden cells?

Is there a way to count unchecked check box cells without including checkbox cells that are hidden? This formula works to count unchecked cells in a column, but it includes cells that are hidden. COUNTIF(A2:A25,FALSE)

iMac 24″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 5, 2024 6:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2024 6:28 AM

The SUBTOTAL function is the only one I can think of that can tell you if a row is hidden but it does not include a "countif" function. If you don't mind having an extra column (which you can hide after it is set up), here is a way to do it:

Formula in C2 =SUBTOTAL(103,B2)

Fill down to complete the column.

The 103 is COUNTA_H, which counts if something is in the specified cell/range except for hidden rows.

Formula for the sum in B1 =COUNTIFS(B,FALSE,C,1)

Hide column C.

I'll play around some more to see if I can figure out a way to do it without the extra column.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2024 6:28 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

The SUBTOTAL function is the only one I can think of that can tell you if a row is hidden but it does not include a "countif" function. If you don't mind having an extra column (which you can hide after it is set up), here is a way to do it:

Formula in C2 =SUBTOTAL(103,B2)

Fill down to complete the column.

The 103 is COUNTA_H, which counts if something is in the specified cell/range except for hidden rows.

Formula for the sum in B1 =COUNTIFS(B,FALSE,C,1)

Hide column C.

I'll play around some more to see if I can figure out a way to do it without the extra column.

Numbers don't count unchecked boxes of hidden cells?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.