You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Temporarily disabling individual routers

I have the following set up and querying to see if it is possible to temporarily disable one of the AirPort Express in the network. The reason being that one of the AirPort Express is in one of my children’s room, who has a console hard wired into it. I need the ability to control Internet availability to their console, so temporarily disabling the AirPort Express without turning off the whole network seems to be the best option.

Posted on Sep 3, 2024 1:21 PM

10 replies

Sep 3, 2024 3:13 PM in response to Epsillo

Not sure that I am following this.

You can disable the AirPort Express by powering it off, but you would lose the connection to the console......unless.....the console is connecting to the Wi-Fi signal from the Express. Then, the console might be able to pick up the weaker Wi-Fi signal from the next closest Express.

I'm not clear on whether the console connects to the AirPort Express using Ethernet or Wi-Fi. If the console connects using Ethernet, you could temporarily turn off the wireless on the AirPort Express and the console would still receive an Ethernet connection. There is another option as well that would require some temporary Ethernet cable swapping.

Please provide more details, thanks!

Sep 5, 2024 8:29 PM in response to Epsillo

Is your house a steel frame construction or is the child's room at a distance from everyhting else in the house? I ask because barring some unique circumstance, turning off the router in their room will not prevent them from getting Internet access - their device(s) can probably connect to all the routers on Wifi.

Parental controls on the device(s) (assuming that is an age-appropriate choice) is a better option, perhaps.

Temporarily disabling individual routers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.