You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off the handwriting conversion to text. In pages. Leave scribble on for writing but not converting it.

I am using Apple Pencil for pages and do want to leave it as a handwriting mode. Already spoke with Apple support team and they said they don’t know.

it works for a while and stop working after the latest sw version installation.

iPad Air, 17

Posted on Sep 3, 2024 6:00 AM

3 replies

Sep 4, 2024 3:21 AM in response to vivi283

If I had never owned a Newton MessagePad 2100, I might never have known how good handwriting recognition could be, or how one can capture handwriting without converting it to text.

Turning off Scribble in iPadOS Apple Stylus settings certainly does prevent the conversion of handwriting into text. It eliminates handwriting with an Apple Stylus. Someone at Apple did not think this through, so their documentation gives hope where it does not exist.

You should send feedback to the iPad Product team as there is no feedback for the Apple Stylus or iPadOS. Make it a feature request to provide a setting so that handwriting can be captured but not converted to text.

Tested: Pages v14.1, Apple Stylus Pro, M4 iPad Pro with iOS 17.6.1.

How to turn off the handwriting conversion to text. In pages. Leave scribble on for writing but not converting it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.