You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I export H.265 video using iMovie (ver. 10.4.2) on Sonoma 14.6.1 ?

Can I export H.265 video using iMovie (ver. 10.4.2) on Sonoma 14.6.1 ? I imported and edited an H.265 video file and would like to export the video with H.265 format as well. But I found iMovie only export H.264 format. I would like to export H.265 directly from iMovie, instead of using other programs such as QuickTime to convert it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 2:06 AM

6 replies

Sep 1, 2024 1:08 AM in response to 國泰

When I spotted your question I was going to suggest DaVinci Resolve.

If you haven't used it before it can have a steep learning curve.

An easier app for someone coming from iMovie is Final Cut Pro and there is a FREE 90 DAY TRIAL.

Final Cut Pro for Mac - Free Trial - Apple (UK)

It is completely free with no strings attached. No personal details required . . . just press the Download now button.

At the end of the 90 days it simply stops working unless you decide to buy it.

However, every time there is an update you can download the new version again!

Aug 31, 2024 10:36 AM in response to 國泰

I don't run the software versions that you mention, so don't know whether you can export in H.265. I'm running older versions that do not have a H.265 export option.

The easiest way to find out is to do a test. Make a short test video in H.265. Import it into iMovie and export it out, using the H.265 export option if you have one. If you don't have an H.265 option, export it out anyway. Then open it in QuickTimePlayer and do a Window/Show Movie Inspector. In the box that appears, see whether the format is H.265.

-- Rich

Aug 31, 2024 6:20 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you for your reply. But I can't find the option to choose H.265 format in iMovie. And I prefer not to export an original H.265 video to H.264 format first in iMovie and then convert it back to H.265 format in QuickTime. Probably I will switch to Davinci Resove which is also free software and support H.265 format export.

Can I export H.265 video using iMovie (ver. 10.4.2) on Sonoma 14.6.1 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.