You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Advice needed on optimizing and reducing the complexity of a large FCPX project

I'm working on a large FCPX project with loads of compound clips and Multicam clips. I'd like to replace video edits of Multicam sequences with original footage clips (but keep the audio) to reduce the project size and complexity.

When I select a Multicam clip in the timeline and search for the original clip in the browser and then the file, I'm taken to the Multicam clip not the source file. Is there a way to drill down farther and get to the original clips? I then want to use them instead of the large Multicam clips.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 29, 2024 6:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2024 7:53 AM

The functionality to collapse the multicam project is not available in FCP as it was in the legacy software. I encourage you to make a feature request for this. It is a very useful and important function for multicam work.

4 replies

Aug 29, 2024 11:30 AM in response to Quillnib

You can get back to the original clip but I haven't found a quick way.

Once you match frame the multicam shot to its multicam clip in the browser by pressing shift+F, note the timecode, then double-click the multicam clip to open it in the angle editor. Press control+p and enter the timecode you noted. That will place the playhead at the correct point in time. Then select the angle that contains the shot you're trying to match frame to and move the skimmer so it lines up with the playhead. Press shift+F to match frame back to the original clip.

Advice needed on optimizing and reducing the complexity of a large FCPX project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.