You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

looking for a good videoconverter (converting *.dvdmedia files)

Hello,

I used to use DVD-ripper 'Rippit' which produces *.dvdmedia-files that could be played with the DVD-player last enclosed in MacOS High Sierra. First, I expected the DVD application returning to MacOS but I recently lost hope :-). So, I would like to convert my *.dvdmedia-files into *.mp4 files that I can play with QuickTime Player.

Of course, I can pay for an app that does the job well.

Greetings,

Deric61

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Aug 28, 2024 8:14 PM

2 replies

Aug 30, 2024 12:36 AM in response to Deric61

DVD Player.app is still in macOS Sonoma 14 but hidden in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/DVD Player.app

Alternatively you can use IINA or VLC to play such movies although Sonoma QuickTime Player can also play those .VOB movies.

But nowadays the old DVD video codec MPEG2 is not very good, especially if it is interlaced which has ugly horizontal lines when viewed on progressive computer monitor instead an old TV (many apps deinterlace by default or you can set them to do so manually when viewing such movies). You might want to re-encode and deinterlace that to a better supported H.264/265 codec and AAC audio wrapped as .mp4 with Handbrake, Shutter Encoder or ffmpeg.

Sep 12, 2024 12:44 AM in response to Deric61

I'm using macOS 12.6 Monterey, and the DVD Player is also hidden in this version. Just press Command + Space to open Spotlight Search, then type DVD Player to find it.

If you don't see DVD player, you can install VLC, which is a great free app that can play DVD/Blu-ray and digital media files.

If your goal is to digitize DVD media files, you can right-click the file > select "Show Package Contents", drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD ripping interface of Cisdem Video Converter (an all-in-one software for DVD, video, and audio processing. I paid $49.99 for the subscription). Select the language, subtitle, format, etc., and then export the video file. If you want freeware, try Handbrake.

looking for a good videoconverter (converting *.dvdmedia files)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.