You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My VHS camera shows up connected to iMovie in import media but the tape footage itself won

I had no issues a week ago but now my iMovie won't recognize my Sony camcorder I have tried on 2 different older macbooks with compatible versions of iMovie with my camcorder. But still iMovie can't seem tor recogniz the tape footage to transfer. Is it possible this is a wire issue? or something internal with the camera... Any and all advice is helpful <3

Posted on Aug 28, 2024 12:56 PM

13 replies

Aug 29, 2024 12:10 PM in response to raquelle22

raquelle22 wrote:
I use a lightning port to firewire converter.

I have never heard of a lightning to firewire converter; as far as I know there is no such converter.

Please tell use exactly what equipment you are using ...

• Mac models - you have apparently tried at least 2 different Macs
  • macOS version on each Mac
  • Adapters (e.g. Apple Thunderbolt 3-Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Apple Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter, any cable adapters, etc.)
  • Cable(s)

Aug 30, 2024 11:32 AM in response to raquelle22

Try importing into QuickTimePlayer instead of directly into iMovie. The major difference between importing into iMovie versus QTP is that importing into QTP would eliminate the scene breaks, so that you would have one continuous clip.

Importing into iMovie 10 from tape based cameras can be hit or miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You may not be doing anything wrong.

-- Rich

My VHS camera shows up connected to iMovie in import media but the tape footage itself won

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.