You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off automatic periods in Pages 14?

When I am typing in Pages it automatically replaces 2 spaces with a period and 1 space. I specifically want 2 spaces. I find myself wasting time going back thru my document replacing periods.

How do I turn off this BUG. (it is not a feature because it does not help me)

I have:

--looked in System Settings--Keyboard and there is nothing there. In fact I removed the only text substitution that was there.

-- Turned off a bunch of stuff in Pages settings. (see image)

HELP!

Thanks

John

MacBook Air, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 9:38 AM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2024 10:41 AM in response to John Boyarsky1

Save your work and quit Pages. Then, in System settings > Keyboard > Input Sources [Edit], disable the setting Add period with double-space.

I have never enabled this in Sonoma and it should not be enabled by default. Pages reads that setting (which is why I had you quit Pages), and upon relaunching Pages, you will have corrected the end of a sentence, with double space being replaced by a period and a single space.

Tested: Pages v14.1, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

How do I turn off automatic periods in Pages 14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.