You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Boot Disk Selector Can't See the Mac Volume

I set up a 2010 Mac mini as a headless Mac connected to a TV. So I guess not really headless, but keyboardless. It's in my bedroom, with a Playstation controller plugged in. I do all the typing and clicking over VNC using my laptop.

So I installed High Sierra on an APFS volume. Then I used bootcamp to install Windows 7 on it's own volume. Then I installed all of the bootcamp tools into windows.

Everything works great, I can play the old GTA games I like on the windows side, I can use OpenEMU, youtube or whatever else on the Mac side.

BUT ALAS, there is one big problem. I can't boot into macOS! This is because my only keyboard control is via VNC, so I have no way to hold the option key at startup. And for whatever reason, the startup disk control panel IN WINDOWS cannot see my Mac volume. This is the proper solution, just go into that control panels, select the High Sierra volume and reboot. But it can't see it. Is there some way to fix this so it does see it?

Mac mini, macOS 13.6

Posted on Aug 26, 2024 5:02 AM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2024 8:06 PM in response to l008com

Well, I did manage to install Win10 in BootCamp on a 2008 MacBook Pro...but I had to create an BootCamp USB for the drivers on a later MacBook Pro running Catalina with BootCamp version 6 on it and then manually run the driver installers and tweak some registry keys.

Not entirely sure now how I did it (probably should have kept better notes), and it was probably a bit too "hack-y" to share on the forums anyway.

Bootcamp Boot Disk Selector Can't See the Mac Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.