You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I edit an iMovie project with deleted photos or videos in it?

I’m using the iMovie on an Ipad Air 3 with IpadOs and wondering why if to delete a photo/video that is a part of a iMovie project from a Gallery, the project ruins? “Project contains deleted objects”, and they became missing in a timeline. What’s the sense of that? IMovie project includes all added things in it, project’s volume became larger and larger, but i can’t neither export project (cause without originals of photo/video files i can’t edit project on another device) nor empty device’s memory.

Is there any solution of this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 17

Posted on Aug 25, 2024 7:44 AM

3 replies

Aug 25, 2024 2:37 PM in response to _Terion_

I'm not that familiar with iMovie for iOS, so keep that in mind. I'm guessing that the media clips that you see in a project are not the full clips themselves but are tiny sized clips that refer to the originals that are stored elsewhere. When you delete the original clips from the source location you would render the referral clips in the project as missing. That is, they no longer can access the original clip to which to refer. The sense of it is that it avoids doubling the amount of storage space used if duplicate originals were in the project. If I am wrong, hopefully someone will chime in with the correct answer.

--Rich

Aug 26, 2024 8:56 AM in response to Rich839

Perhaps. But all projects that way became only a one-time trash. Average 3 min video project takes from 1,5gb - it’s a very huge amount for a mobile phone videos timeline if they were tiny sized.

all files wont’t lie on the same place ever either: at mobile devices you use cloud storages, so even if your decide to download files for re-arranging a project - files will be always as new, and project will never identify them. Besides that, you wont ever remember, which file was on what place in a timeline.

that’s why all the iMovie+iPad seems like a horrible mess, and i wish to believe that there’s a solution.

Aug 26, 2024 9:46 AM in response to _Terion_

As I said, I don’t use iMovie for iOS much. The times that I have used it it had amazing capabilities for a hand held device. However, I much prefer iMovie for Mac with the more features and computer power behind it.

You might consider contacting Apple Support and discussing your iMovie iOS issue with the techs there.

— Rich

How can I edit an iMovie project with deleted photos or videos in it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.