You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just wondering what the best settings for GarageBand microphone recording are

Hello I’m looking to use GarageBand to record vinyl records from my record player. Just wondering what microphone settings should be. I like to listen to very old music from the 40s and 50s on discs full of crackling. I actually like the sound of the hum of the motor and the crackling of the records showing up in my recording. I’m using a cheap record player with no bass so I’ve added an external sub and with that the bass can exceed anything that I could get from even direct USB connection to my higher end equipment. When the house is quiet the recordings sound great but there’s lots of time I feel like I can’t record because of environmental sounds. Wondering what settings would preserve the noise of the crackling well, maybe even amplify it when it’s soft but cut out any sound from a distant sound source like footsteps, a distant TV, or an AC. Also if anyone has ever heard the sound of a styrene 45 which is distorted in the high end what setting could help it sound less harsh. Other settings that would be helpful for me to know about would be for giving my modern suitcase player a more vintage 50s type sound. I would be able to try this on a Mac but I would prefer to make the recordings on an iPhone for convenience. Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Aug 23, 2024 7:23 PM

1 reply

Just wondering what the best settings for GarageBand microphone recording are

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.