You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does OS9 Classic on Apple G4 Cube stall when a printer is connected?

I have a G4 Cube running OSX 10.4.11 and classic OS9.2.2

My printer is a HP4630 which is connected via usb to a keyboard port.

My issue is this…

At startup I have OS9 classic set to automatically boot. When the printer is on and connected via usb it will work in OSX. If it’s on and connected at startup, OS9 cjassic will stall after it boots about 90%.

How to bypass the printer in OS9 classic?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 3:10 PM

Instead of an Ethernet cable connection between the G4 Cube and the Wi-Fi router/gateway, you could use an inexpensive Wi-Fi range extender with wireless Ethernet bridge capabilities (the Edimax EW-7438RPn Mini is merely one example; you should be able to find similar devices locally). The Wi-Fi extender (operating in a client/adapter/bridge mode) would be connected by a short cable to the Ethernet port of the G4 Cube. This now wireless Ethernet bridge would connect wirelessly to the router/gateway. Modern wireless security can be used.

The reason for suggesting a solution like this is that an 802.11b AirPort card (optional for the Cube) would have limited speed and security.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2024 3:10 PM in response to beigebox

Instead of an Ethernet cable connection between the G4 Cube and the Wi-Fi router/gateway, you could use an inexpensive Wi-Fi range extender with wireless Ethernet bridge capabilities (the Edimax EW-7438RPn Mini is merely one example; you should be able to find similar devices locally). The Wi-Fi extender (operating in a client/adapter/bridge mode) would be connected by a short cable to the Ethernet port of the G4 Cube. This now wireless Ethernet bridge would connect wirelessly to the router/gateway. Modern wireless security can be used.

The reason for suggesting a solution like this is that an 802.11b AirPort card (optional for the Cube) would have limited speed and security.

Aug 22, 2024 1:32 PM in response to beigebox

Is the HP Officejet 4630 wirelessly connected to a Wi-Fi router? If so, what would happen if you connect the G4 Cube via Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of that router (instead of using USB from the Mac to the printer)?

Normally, one would have expected an Officejet 4630 to require Mac OS X 10.6 or higher for printer drivers to work. However, since 10.4.11 seems to be OK via USB, it may even work via a network connection. Look upon this as an experiment.

Aug 22, 2024 2:20 PM in response to beigebox

Thank you for the information.

Could you perhaps temporarily move the G4 Cube and the printer to the gateway? This just for a printing test.

Alternatively, do you have an old Wi-Fi router lying around? If yes, you could possibly create a temporary, local network for printing tests in the room where the Cube and the printer are. Only the local side (WLAN and LAN) is of interest. The WAN (Internet) port of that old router can be left unconnected.

What kind of printer driver are you using for Mac OS X 10.4.11?

Aug 22, 2024 1:47 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, thanks for the reply. I was hoping you would see this post. You have helped me better understand older Macs and solved issues for me before.

Anyway, yes the printer is connected wirelessly and an ethernet connection to the G4 cube is possible. The problem is the gateway is upstairs (current access) which works better for all of our wireless activity. The G4 cube and printer are downstairs. This winter I will probably run a 50 ft cat6 cable to connect them.

Aug 22, 2024 4:53 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I moved the usb plug to one of the rear ports in the cube and now it prints like a champ!

Back to OS 9 classic, as mentioned I boot this automatically at startup. Mainly because I use OS 9 software often. Still think there should be a way to hide the printer for use in OS 10.4.11 after OS 9.2.2 boots. Again if the printer is on at startup OS 9 will stall at 90% and I have to turn the printer off and restart OS 9. After all that it prints just fine in OS 10 via usb with the CUPS driver🙂

Why does OS9 Classic on Apple G4 Cube stall when a printer is connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.