You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh LCIII question about system software

I have an MacIntosh LC III computer that has been boxed for 30 years. I turned it on and the systems loaded applications and files that were saved. My plan was to erase all personal information from the hard drive and then sell the system. The second time I turned on the computer, I recided a blinking question mark on the desktop. The manual states I need to install system software. I no longer have the floppy disks to do so. My question is the following - Are my personal files still on this computer or not? If someone installs a system software will the files previously on computer return? For the record, the original system software was installed by my former employer. Thanks for any insight.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 10:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 12:15 PM

Yes, the blinking question mark indicates that the computer cannot locate a valid system folder. However, unless files on the hard disk were previously securely deleted/erased/overwritten, the files are still there (and may return once the computer is properly working again).

You could make an attempt to start up again while pressing the four keys Command(Apple), Option(Alt), P and R. Hold down the keys until a second startup sound is heard. This may not change anything, though.

Otherwise, you will need a startup diskette (such as a Disk Tools floppy) in order to allow the computer to boot from the floppy drive. Next, the hard disk must be erased. The HD SC Setup utility (found on Disk Tools) can often be used for this. A special wiping utility (for example, Burn 2.5) may be useful, too. A friend could perhaps help you. A System Folder copied to the hard disk from a Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy can act as a temporary operating system on the empty hard disk. The supported operating system versions can be found here:

Macintosh LC III: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

If nothing else works, I suggest that you open the computer and remove the internal SCSI hard drive. You could then sell the LC III without a hard drive. You could keep the removed hard drive (or destroy it, if necessary).

Do not hesitate to post back if there are additional questions.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2024 12:15 PM in response to Hummingbirds77

Yes, the blinking question mark indicates that the computer cannot locate a valid system folder. However, unless files on the hard disk were previously securely deleted/erased/overwritten, the files are still there (and may return once the computer is properly working again).

You could make an attempt to start up again while pressing the four keys Command(Apple), Option(Alt), P and R. Hold down the keys until a second startup sound is heard. This may not change anything, though.

Otherwise, you will need a startup diskette (such as a Disk Tools floppy) in order to allow the computer to boot from the floppy drive. Next, the hard disk must be erased. The HD SC Setup utility (found on Disk Tools) can often be used for this. A special wiping utility (for example, Burn 2.5) may be useful, too. A friend could perhaps help you. A System Folder copied to the hard disk from a Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy can act as a temporary operating system on the empty hard disk. The supported operating system versions can be found here:

Macintosh LC III: Technical Specifications - Apple Support

If nothing else works, I suggest that you open the computer and remove the internal SCSI hard drive. You could then sell the LC III without a hard drive. You could keep the removed hard drive (or destroy it, if necessary).

Do not hesitate to post back if there are additional questions.

Aug 22, 2024 4:08 PM in response to Hummingbirds77

It is quite easy. Of course, disconnect the computer from the mains before you begin. You may have to remove a screw on the back of the computer. Then release two tabs. Carefully remove the top. The removal of the SCSI hard drive is almost self-explanatory. For details/pictures, I suggest that you try a web search for something like Macintosh LC III disassembly, replace hard drive Macintosh LC III and/or Macintosh LC III repair. Good luck!

Aug 23, 2024 7:43 AM in response to Hummingbirds77

You're welcome!

Just an addendum. If you so wish, you could inform a buyer of the LC III without the internal hard drive that there are modern substitutes available (BlueSCSI, SCSI2SD, ZuluSCSI, etc) using storage on an SD memory card. Some used SCSI hard drives compatible with an LC III may also be found on online auction sites, but they are usually rather expensive (and buying a used hard drive can be somewhat risky).

Aug 22, 2024 1:48 PM in response to Hummingbirds77

Jan, thank you for your reply and the suggestions. I did try holding the 4 keys down, but no success. At this point in time, I do want to open up the case and remove the hard drive. Can you share a link with me as to how to go about opening the back of the case? Can you also share a link that shows me how remove the internal SCSI hard drive also? I am not sure what it looks like or what slot it is located. We are down sizing and I need to let this Apple computer go. :-) Thanks again!

Macintosh LCIII question about system software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.