You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2008 3,1 Overheats and Crashed when encoding

My 2008 Mac Pro, a real workhorse, has been crashing lately when encoding video, particularly with Adobe Media Encoder CS 6. There was a prompt that there are 36 bad sectors, though there is much free space on the 1 TB Drive (Boot). I have run Applejack, Disc Utility and Disk Warrior. Running 10.6.8.

Would replacing the boot HD make sense.

Yes, I have other Macs running higher versions of OS and newer software. CS6 is great for encoding the video that I capture.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 21, 2024 5:01 PM

11 replies

Aug 29, 2024 7:51 AM in response to procuts

if you would like to investigate the fundamental causes of your crashes, that is a rather different discussion.

The best tool for doing so easily, Etrecheck, does not run on MacOS that old.

Kernel Panic Reports are stored in the Folder at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to the Folder where those reports are stored.

Kernel panic reports are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

If you post your kernel panic here in its entirety, using the additional text icon in the reply footer, we do have some Readers (typically with developer background) who can attempt to interpret those panic reports.

Aug 21, 2024 6:31 PM in response to procuts

<< There was a prompt that there are 36 bad sectors. >>

what program told you that?

If true, your drive may need to be erased, which will cause spare blocks to be substituted for the ones found bad AFTER they are checked. But keep in mind, your drive (rarely) may NOT be useable afterward, because there are not enough good blocks remaining for trouble-free operation.

¿What is the date of your most recent backup, and by what method?

also, before you erase, can you put your hands on the installer DVD? if not, be sure to create an Additional alternative Boot drive before you do anything to your boot drive, because it is VERY difficult to install MacOS that old if you are not already running some version of MacOS, and 10.6 is NOT available by download.

Aug 23, 2024 3:08 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank You Grant,

There is an OSX prompt that appears noting the bad sectors, but I believe that was Disk Warrior. I have a previous HD of this drive (which mainly has the OS and software). I plan to use a Clone program to avoid hours of re-instillation. Yep, have been using Snow Leopard a long time. The possibility of the thing that caused this problem is likely use... we do alot of video and audio encoding/processing.

I just ordered a 3TB HD (currently have on a 1 TB). I should probably clone the previous drive to avoid copying data from bad sectors.

Aug 23, 2024 3:47 PM in response to procuts

<< I should probably clone the previous drive to avoid copying data from bad sectors. >>

You CAN'T copy data from Bad sectors. When a sector is Bad, that means its data are unknowable, even after re-reading 1,000 times using error correction. What happens to you instead is the copying STOPS, dead, and you get a -36 I/O Error (bummers).

Aug 28, 2024 3:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

I plan on cloning a previous drive that does not have a bad sector. Also, I am stuck as to what the actual cause is:

1. An incident occurred when there was no encoding

2. An incident occurred when the other boot drive was running (10.11)

3. I did some further investigating that there is a potential power issue/possibly the video card. I replaced an ATI 1 TB card (with additional power cable) with a stock NVIDIA card.

4. Is there any SMC Fan software available for 10.6.8 and/or 10.11?

Yes, I have newer Macs... this old Mac pro has been a workhorse and has always delivered.

Thanks,

Kenneth Davis

Aug 28, 2024 5:47 PM in response to procuts

If that report you got was valid, you need to fix your bad Sectors. A bad sector can stop processing dead. When data are unknowable, your Mac will kernel panic with a -36 error, it will Not just keep toddling along.

The worse possibility is that 36 bad sectors this week could be an indicator of 360 next week, and 3600 the week after, and uncountably many the week after that. You need to fix up that drive so that it is reliable.

This is Not a potential issue with the power or the graphics card and there is no additional software for the SMC you don't already have. Fiddling with the fan speeds is not a fix for anything.

Aug 29, 2024 7:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Absolutely, unsure what the cause is. While the 10.6.8 drive needs replaced, I may need to wait until the weather cools some. And as mentioned, I saw the issue occur while running 10.11. We are prone to heavy storms and an OS clone could take some time. As mentioned, what I will do is clone an earlier drive, which I replaced because of the low amount of space remaining. Is it helpful to do an SMC, PRAM/NVRAM and CODA? I also run Applejack, Disk Warrior and Disk Utility. Appreciate your replies and suggestions that you have provided.

Aug 29, 2024 10:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, nothing says "kernel panic," but here a re few snippets with 20 lines max (separated by -----). I should log in as a different user and see if the issue repeats.

Next time there is a crash, I will look and send a report, noting the date/time:

The first is from a .hang log noting Premiere Pro CS6:

Thread bc1   

Kernel stack:

11 thread_call_initialize + 687 [0x23014c]

1 call_continuation + 28 [0x2a179c]

1 thread_call_initialize + 1097 [0x2302e6]

1 thread_block_parameter + 32 [0x227631]

1 thread_block_reason + 309 [0x2275b0]

1 thread_go + 1961 [0x22698c]

1 thread_setrun + 1360 [0x225bba]

1 machine_idle + 239 [0x2ad11b]

Thread c11   

Kernel stack:

9 thread_call_initialize + 687 [0x23014c]

3 call_continuation + 28 [0x2a179c]

3 thread_call_initialize + 1097 [0x2302e6]

3 thread_block_parameter + 32 [0x227631]

3 thread_block_reason + 309 [0x2275b0]

3 thread_go + 1961 [0x22698c]

3 thread_setrun + 1360 [0x225bba]

3 machine_idle + 239 [0x2ad11b]

-------

------------------------------

Process:        AGSService [52]

Path:            /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/AGSService

Identifier:      AGSService

Version:        ??? (???)

Code Type:      X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:      2024-08-21 10:12:54.844 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/AGSService

Reason: image not found

Binary Images:

0x7fff5fc00000 -    0x7fff5fc3be0f  dyld 132.1 (???) <29DECB19-0193-2575-D838-CF743F0400B2> /usr/lib/dyld

--------

Aug 29, 2024 12:22 PM in response to procuts

<< Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP). >>

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, Bit Torrent, or a VPN that you installed yourself. They are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

are you running anything like that?

Mac Pro 2008 3,1 Overheats and Crashed when encoding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.