You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

QuickTime edit options greyed out.

I have .mp4 files, all less than a 100MB, I would like to trim but all editing options are greyed out. This is not a new issue. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 21, 2024 3:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2024 10:49 PM

Weird. Does it happen with all movies? With movies straight from an iPhone or iPad? What codecs do the movies have (you can check them with MediaInfo or Invisor)? Does a detour to safe boot help? Does it happen if you create a new user account and try it there?

Remove all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors like this and are not needed. A clean install might be needed to fix the damage they have done.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2024 10:49 PM in response to panderton1

Weird. Does it happen with all movies? With movies straight from an iPhone or iPad? What codecs do the movies have (you can check them with MediaInfo or Invisor)? Does a detour to safe boot help? Does it happen if you create a new user account and try it there?

Remove all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors like this and are not needed. A clean install might be needed to fix the damage they have done.

Sep 4, 2024 9:53 AM in response to Matti Haveri

I've reinstalled AVG ( the only 3rd party apps you recommended ).

I tried opening the .mp4 I need to edit and still no editing available ( Codecs MPEG-4 AAC, H.264 ) but editing was available with a different .mp4 ( Codecs H.264, MPEG-4 AAC ). Am I missing something? Obviously I can edit in iMovie but using QuickTime would save me a lot of time. Thank you for the help.

QuickTime edit options greyed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.