You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac tower mid 2010 no chime no boot

I think the Graphics card may be shot or logic board or worse. Light turns on, fans running but no chime and black screen. I’m trying to get data from internal hard drives before taking it to Genius Bar where they will likely wipe the computer. Can I use a data to usb adapter to do this before I take it in? Thank you.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 21, 2024 6:56 AM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Mcat1999

The initial "chime" sound is generated in software when your Mac passes the Power-On Self Test. If the chime occurs and/or startup continues, your Mac is working. The screen should light up and draw a blank gray screen.  Then on to the Disk Drive.

if you see a blinking power indicator light instead, that is a "help me" message. Report what number of blinks you see for assistance.

NO chime and no "help me" message suggests the processor in not even getting going.

You may not be able to get this computer running well enough to make backups in the usual way. But if your drives are in the SATA drive bays, they can each be removed and placed in a SATA/USB enclosure or "toaster"-style non-enclosure, or even a naked cable-adapter to make a copy of whatever you want.

Aug 21, 2024 4:43 PM in response to Mcat1999

Great work!

now if you want to debug that computer...

the approved method is to assume some hardware is dragging down the power. Remove everything that is in a slot and try for the chime, or if you removed the RAM DIMMs as well, a 'help me' message in blinks of the power indicator light.

if no joy, remove the 3.00 Volt coin cell parameter RAM backup battery from behind the graphics card slot. you can debug with out, but the system time and boot drive location will be wonky if you get it going without. CR2032 makes a good replacement. Note the battery holder carefully, and use a very bright light -- breaking the battery retainer will ruin your day.

mac tower mid 2010 no chime no boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.