You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook preventing me from using other open applications without closing the active application

I'm on the latest version of BigSur. This is a new problem and I cannot identify what the cause was (perhaps a recent update)?

The problem : I cannot switch between open apps. For example, if I have Chrome and Zoom open, if Chrome was the active app, I cannot access Zoom without first closing Chrome. I can use command+tab to see what is open but I cannot switch to another app and use it without first closing the other app.

MacBook, macOS 11.7

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 8:18 AM

1 reply

Aug 15, 2024 2:25 PM in response to A_Sweet

I have encountered a similar issue with Microsoft Teams. Sometimes I'm unable to Tab switch to Teams, because somehow it seems to have become "hidden". If I click on the Teams icon on the Dock I can switch to the Teams app every time (another app must first have focus before clicking on the other app's icon on the Dock). Teams is the only app where I have encountered the issue. I am using the new style Teams app which I think is now a Web App instead of the older Electron based Teams app. I wonder if Zoom is the same way.

FYI, when I go to task switch to Teams, if I notice the Teams app icon is on the far right, then it probably won't switch without clicking the the Teams icon on the Dock. For me, I'm in Teams enough during the day it should never make it to the far right side of the task switcher.

MacBook preventing me from using other open applications without closing the active application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.