You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5 got installed during a crash recovery. Prior to the crash, I was using the native pages with OS11

So now I have documents that will not open with the freshly installed "ancient" Pages 5. But when I try to update Pages, now, it won't let me because the newest Pages is incompatable with the BigSur 11.7*.

We used to be able to update to the most recent "compatable" software application. What happened to that?

iMac 27" retina 2014 late

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Aug 13, 2024 1:17 PM

1 reply

Aug 13, 2024 2:39 PM in response to toxlevel

There is no such thing as a "native" Pages application because it is not bundled with the operating system. The last compatible version of Pages for Big Sur 11.7.* is Pages v12.1, clearly not the v14.1 presently in the Mac App Store that requires macOS Ventura 13.* or later for installation.

No version of Pages v5.* is compatible with macOS Big Sur 11.* and has not been available since macOS 10.11.

If you ever personally installed Pages from the Mac App Store since Oct 2013, then you can get the latest compatible version for Big Sur installed from the Mac App Store — provided you use the same Apple ID. You would launch the Mac App Store, sign-in with that original Apple ID, and then press cmd+0 (zero) to open the Purchased panel. If Pages appears there with a download or install symbol, click that. You may receive one or more dialogs, none of which would you click Cancel. The final dialog will ask if you want to install the last compatible version of Pages for Big Sur and you know what to do at that prompt.

Pages 5 got installed during a crash recovery. Prior to the crash, I was using the native pages with OS11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.