You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp no longer boots into Windows

Hello. Im running a MacPro 5,1 with Mojave and have been using Bootcamp with Windows 10 for many years with no issue. However, today I tried to boot into Bootcamp, and it would show the initial Windows icon, then the circling dots would appear below for about 10 seconds as usual, but then my screen would go black and would say going into powersave mode. I tried this a number of times, even after doing a NVRAM and SMC reset, but I get the same thing everytime. I left it on in this state for an hour thinking it might be doing an update or something, but the screen was still black. 

Did the Crowdstrike bug last week have anything to do with this? Is there anyway I can get it to work? Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 11, 2024 6:49 PM

4 replies

Aug 11, 2024 10:02 PM in response to DeathStalker13

Thats exactly how I always boot into my Windows drive (its a stand alone 2TB SSD internal drive dedicated to Windows only). I can see the drive and its contents on the Mac side of things, but it will no longer allow me to boot into it.

The only other way I know would be to use the Option key at startup, but I haven’t been able to do that ever since I upgraded my video card to an 8GB one which doesn’t have EFI capability.

Aug 12, 2024 4:41 AM in response to Mojo27

Does the screen go black when you’re in macOS? If so, I’d suspect something with the video card, monitor, or cable.

can you put the old Mac video card back in to be able to get the option to pick the drives at boot?

you can also try moving the drive to a different slot. Leave the Mac one where it is, but put the windows 2TB drive into a different bay. Then boot the Mac side up again and pick windows as your startup

Bootcamp no longer boots into Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.