You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a MacBook Pro M3 Pro handle 4K video editing and gaming?

Hi,

im a student at uni and video editor, photographer, graphic designer...all in one lol.

i work mostly with full HD and 4k resolution videos. Usually 4 layers with transitions and colour grading.

Currently im using older windows laptop with 16 gb ram and i5 12500h... i can work with 4k footage but its not the ideal. Sometimes its slower then i would like. And transitions get sometimes laggy.

I also play games but nothing like AAA big games.

Mostly League of legends, World of warcraft...(also like valorant but yeah not supported,sadge)

Do you think that macbook pro m3 pro will be enough ?

• 18gm RAM
  • 512 SSD

I am afraid that if i stack 4-5 layers of 4k with some colour grading it will crash.

On the other hand im not sure if lol/wow will be like... playable on around 80 fps...

Any recomendations ?

(can´t really go for MAX m3 bcs of price)

THX

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Aug 8, 2024 3:34 AM

3 replies

Aug 8, 2024 9:55 AM in response to IamOlko

I will take a crack at this. You do not mention which tool(s) you use for video editing. I will assume Adobe Premiere since you are using Windows. Premiere is available for Mac and you should not have much trouble supporting your 4k footage at 5 tracks. Final Cut may work even better as it takes full advantage of the dedicated H.264, H.265, and ProRes hardware encoders. However, Premiere should work acceptably.

Please note, the 512 SSD may be small if you are not planning on using external drives for your media clips. 4k footage can get large, fast. Again, I don't know the duration of your projects so storage calculations is impossible to gauge.

Now, regarding gaming. I can confirm that WoW works fine. I still play on an M1 Air and have no issues. (main in a rogue so I have little need for the wide view). Regarding the other games, I cannot provide guidance. However, you might want to check out the Game Porting Toolkit. When Diablo 4 was released with no support for Mac, I used the Game Porting Kit to get it running on my M1. Works without issue.

If you have access to an Apple Retail Store in your area, go in and ask for a demo of Final Cut. If you have some sample footage, ask if you can give it a run through.

Aug 8, 2024 1:13 PM in response to IamOlko

My whole crew plays WoW on Macs. I use a simple 2020 M1 Air, my tank uses an M2 Studio with a 27" Apple Studio Display, the healer is on an M1 Studio with a 27" Apple Display, and the other two DPS use M1 MacBook Pros 16". We are all at full frame rate with no stutters or lags (unless it is Internet issues).

Good luck with your studies. Enjoy gaming - just not too much. Studies first.

Will a MacBook Pro M3 Pro handle 4K video editing and gaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.