You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 8.0.6 crashes on launch in MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

Basically that is it. When I try to launch iMovie on High Sierra, it fails.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 6, 2024 1:12 PM

11 replies

Aug 11, 2024 9:27 AM in response to Rich839

Also, you might try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if you can open iMovie 8 without crashing. (You won't be able to open iMovie while still in Safe Mode, so you need to reboot in normal mode.) Booting up in Safe Mode sometimes clears out glitches that can cause things like crashes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

You also can try creating a new user account and starting up iMovie from there.

-- Rich

Aug 11, 2024 9:14 AM in response to Rich839

iMovie 10 was released on Oct.22, 2013, and is pre-installed on all new computers. So, if you bought your computer new after Oct. 22, 2013, iMovie 10 should be installed on it provided that you are using the same Apple I.D. now as when the Mac was purchased. If it is not visible in the app store's purchased list, perhaps it is hidden. To find out, click on the View Information item at the top right of your app store's Account screen:

That will open a screen where you can reveal and unhide hidden items:

Click on the "Manage" tab to see if iMovie 10 is on your computer and, if it is, unhide it.

-- Rich

Aug 7, 2024 8:54 PM in response to Rich839

The strange thing is as I updated MacOS versions, it would "gray out" applications that would not run on the newer version. iMovie was never marked as not running on High Sierra. I never before had a reason to use it until now. I have a video I want to launch and play on startup, but couldn't se a way for VLC to do it, and thus thought I'd try iMovie.

Any suggestion as to what application I can use to do this since iMovie is a bust?

Aug 9, 2024 8:40 AM in response to romad

You need to update to iMovie 10 to run iMovie on High Sierra. Try the procedure below to get the highest version of iMovie 10 that your OS will run. Then, open iMovie 10 an do a File/Update Projects and Events. That should update your iMovie 8 projects to iMovie 10 projects, where they can be played, edited and exported. The iMovie 8 projects still will be preserved in the iMovie 8 app as well.

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted or lost it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Aug 11, 2024 12:32 PM in response to Rich839

No, I bought the iMac in 2012 and then updated to each MacOS version until I maxed out at MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. BTW, have you had a chance to read my earlier reply to you? If not, here it is:

The strange thing is as I updated MacOS versions, it would "gray out" applications that would not run on the newer version. iMovie was never marked as not running on High Sierra. I never before had a reason to use it until now. I have a video I want to launch and play on startup, but couldn't se a way for VLC to do it, and thus thought I'd try iMovie.

Any suggestion as to what application I can use to do this since iMovie is a bust?

Aug 11, 2024 1:14 PM in response to romad

Right, you want to be able to play the video ( see/ watch the video ) rather than use an app like iMovie to edit the video, is that right? You were hoping that iMovie would enable you to play/watch the video.

Have you tried to play the video by double clicking on the video which would normally open QuickTime Player and play the video?

Control + Click ( also known as Right Click ) on the video and select > Get Info.

Tell us what this "Get Info " tells us about the video. A screen shot would be useful.

Aug 14, 2024 2:11 PM in response to romad

I am not aware of any non-Apple program that will be able to open or play iMovie 8.

There should be two folders in your Movies folder, titled iMovie Projects and iMovie Events. Those folders are the data base for iMovie 8. Double click on them to see what's inside. You won't be able to play any projects on them, but possibly can obtain the media used in the projects, or perhaps a .mov file that can play the project.

-- Rich

iMovie 8.0.6 crashes on launch in MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.