You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie library damaged. Cannot create anything new without problems

Trying to make an iMovie using GoPro and iPhone pics. About 1/2 way through I started getting a msg the library was full & it wouldn't let me do any further editing. I had an unused seagate ext hard drive so formatted it for apple and created new libraries and distributing my projects into those new libraries to store on ext drive. The only thing I did with my 'original iMovie library' was move a couple of 'less important' projects to new libraries. Then issues started.

I continued working on my project and suddenly all the media was gone. I found a backup version and started working on that only to get a mssg the library was damaged and the timeline was there but no media.

So I started getting error messages when trying to create a new library. It would first say 'My Movie (number) already exists. then an error message saying it couldn't recognize format. I tired several times.

After resetting iMovie & rebooting, I was able to create iMovie Library 5. I copied all the media from my original project and rebuilt the timeline, started adding more media and was working well. Then I got another message: the library was damaged. The media was present but no timeline.No project exists.So I went to several backup versions and the timeline is there but no media.

Here is a crash report: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 27″

Posted on Aug 4, 2024 12:27 PM

1 reply

Aug 16, 2024 9:26 AM in response to baldjeber

Hard to tell what is happening there. Here are some diagnostic procedures that you can try:

Opening iMovie in a new user account

Create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups and try to open and use iMovie in the new account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Updating iMovie

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 and later computers):

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Support item above this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

iMovie library damaged. Cannot create anything new without problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.