You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos button in iMovie shows no photos from Photos

I have 12 photos in Photos Mac ready to add to an iMovie Mac project. Clicking Photos in iMovie does not show any photos. Import does not have Photos Library choice as a source to import. Imovie Library only has photos from past iMovie projects. Those photos did not come from Photos, they came from Finder files.

Why will my photos in Photos not appear when I click Photos in iMovie? How do I import photos from Photos to iMovie?

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jul 30, 2024 7:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2024 7:32 AM

Hi,

Possibly your Photos library is not designated as the System Photo Library. To check, open Photos and go to Preferences/Settings and click on whatever box is indicated to make your Photos Library the System Photos Library. Then close and reopen iMovie. (If the box is grayed out in Photos Preferences it means that your Photos Library already is your System Library and you need do nothing further).

Also, possibly the link to the Photos library is not working. Try deleting/resetting iMovie preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your Photos link works. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 30, 2024 7:32 AM in response to ejbpesca

Hi,

Possibly your Photos library is not designated as the System Photo Library. To check, open Photos and go to Preferences/Settings and click on whatever box is indicated to make your Photos Library the System Photos Library. Then close and reopen iMovie. (If the box is grayed out in Photos Preferences it means that your Photos Library already is your System Library and you need do nothing further).

Also, possibly the link to the Photos library is not working. Try deleting/resetting iMovie preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your Photos link works. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Photos button in iMovie shows no photos from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.