You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which laptop to choose

Hi! I am in between the following two laptops:

1. Apple MacBook Pro 14" Liquid Retina XDR M3 Pro Chip 12-Core CPU And 18-Core GPU 1TB SSD 18GB RAM Space Black
  2. Apple MacBook Pro 14" Liquid Retina XDR M3 Pro Chip 11-Core CPU And 14-Core GPU 512GB SSD 18GB RAM Space Black

I am an architect and never had a Macbook to work on. I mainly use Autocad, Sketchup and Photoshop.

Which would you think is ideal? Obviously, the latter is cheaper, which is why it is in the list.

Feel free to share your insights! Thanks :)

MacBook Pro (M3 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 29, 2024 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2024 10:00 AM

Welcome!

I am an architect and never had a Macbook to work on. I mainly use Autocad, Sketchup and Photoshop.

Storage is an important factor in those apps as files can get huge. I suspect you will find 512GB insufficient within a year.

Apple no longer makes it possible to increase storage after the device goes on the assembly line. Same with RAM. You must buy up front what you may need in three years.

Frankly, were I in your shoes, I would be asking my architect friends about their experiences and recommendations regarding Apple notebooks specifically in architecture. You are running some pro apps that will not have as many users in these forums where most people are using the more mundane apps.

Is a portable computer a necessity? A potent desktop computer like a Mac Studio may be more appropriate for in-office work.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2024 10:00 AM in response to katrina_gm

Welcome!

Storage is an important factor in those apps as files can get huge. I suspect you will find 512GB insufficient within a year.

Apple no longer makes it possible to increase storage after the device goes on the assembly line. Same with RAM. You must buy up front what you may need in three years.

Frankly, were I in your shoes, I would be asking my architect friends about their experiences and recommendations regarding Apple notebooks specifically in architecture. You are running some pro apps that will not have as many users in these forums where most people are using the more mundane apps.

Is a portable computer a necessity? A potent desktop computer like a Mac Studio may be more appropriate for in-office work.

Which laptop to choose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.