You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install iMovie for Big Sur 11.7.10?

I recently had problems with my Late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" and the SSD was formatted and re-partitioned. All my files were wiped, and I'm running the latest possible version of MacOS that this laptop can run. I tried to install iMovie again, but unlike when I tried for GarageBand, it needed an older version, but didn't ask if I want to install an older version. I need iMovie back. How do I install it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 13, 2024 8:21 PM

14 replies

Jul 14, 2024 10:05 AM in response to sadratime

Hi,

Try this procedure, that thesurreyfriends was leading up to.

To update/redownload iMovie 10, sign in to the app store and open your Account folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed in your Account folder, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. You should get the highest version that your operating system will run.

If you don't see iMovie in your Account/Purchases folder, perhaps it is hidden. Click on the View Information item at the top of your Accounts folder.

Another screen will open up showing various items, including a Hidden Items heading.

Under Hidden Items there will be an option to unhide any redownloadable hidden purchases, by clicking on the Manage tabe to the right.

-- Rich

Jul 20, 2024 1:34 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

got garageband right here. i can't find iMovie on it, but this actually isn't how i installed garageband. i looked it up on that search bar towards the left of the app store window, and i clicked on the install button that is under all of the apps in the screenshot attached below; a cloud with an arrow facing down. it asked me if i wanted to install an older version since it required a newer version of macos and i didn't yet have it, but imovie doesnt do that. (refer to the screen recording here)

Jul 22, 2024 3:32 AM in response to sadratime

". any app that I didn't previously download that was on my macbook before it got reset that requires a newer version of macos is unobtainable "

By this do you mean that any app that you did not update from receiving the pre-installed versions?

And you are saying that you did update GarageBand prior to reset? ,so that is why it appears in your Purchased page., and that Numbers, Keynote, iMovie and Pages were not updated from the original pre-installed versions?

I say this because I believe that to be able to download updates then those applications would need to be associated with your Apple ID and therefore would show in your Purchased page.

Generally, (but maybe not always????) one has to Adopt these 5 pre-installed apps when a new Mac is purchased. The mystery is that it appears that only GarageBand was adopted/linked to you Apple ID whilst the other 4 were not.

Not helping , I know, but trying to find an explanation!

Jul 20, 2024 11:24 PM in response to sadratime

Have you had more than one Apple ID?

If so, is it possible that iMovie is associated with your other Apple ID?

If so, then try your other ID.

It is possible that even though you have had iMovie previously that it may not have been linked to your Apple ID, and therefore is not listed on your Purchased page.This would be strange however because GarageBand is listed on the Purchased page and you would think that iMovie would be also, if they are both linked to the same Apple ID.

Jul 21, 2024 8:01 PM in response to sadratime

UPDATE: ive just gone over this again, and ive realized that any app that i didnt previously download that was on my macbook before it got reset that requires a newer version of macos is unobtainable. if it isn't in my purchases there is simply no way of accessing them. i can no longer get pages, keynote, or any of that stuff. this problem is becoming quite serious, i might call apple support to get it resolved if it can't be resolved through here soon enough

Jul 22, 2024 9:28 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

haha its okay, i appreciate you trying to help.

the macbook was originally my moms, bought in 2013 and those 5 apps came pre-installed. when i made a user account on the computer and logged in with my apple id i didn't install any of these apps. i should also mention, i used a macbook before this, but it was the same case; i used my dads macbook often with these specific apps and they came pre-installed. i never had to manually install these from the app store. i have seen people contact apple support and have the employees put the apps in their downloads, is that a possible solution i can utilize?

How do I install iMovie for Big Sur 11.7.10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.