You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased HD music is being uploaded and replaced with standard 256kbps 16bit music

I've been re-importing my HD music into the Music app and deleting the downgraded replacement songs. I only listen to my music collection at home and enjoy the high definition songs that I've purchased. Is there a way to tag the songs that I don't want uploaded? My collection of Apple Music songs and the ones purchased from the iTunes Music Store are fine, as they remain the way I received them. I can see the need for updating my iCloud library and the Genius updates. It came as shock to discover that my 24bit/2,000 kbps songs were now 16bit/256 kpbs. For example, my Deluxe 24bit Beatles-White Album was not only down graded, but 2 of the songs were listed as "unknown song" with the track number intact.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 12, 2024 6:15 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2024 11:50 PM in response to JWTowne

Hi,

If you subscribe to iTunes Match, matched music will be 256 Kbps AAC and uploaded lossless music will be transcribed to 256 Kbps AAC. This is the format that will appear on other devices using iCloud Music library. However, music add to your main library is not altered unless you opt to remove download and re-download version from iCloud music library.

Apple music works the same for matched music except that most music may be available as lossless or hi-res but such music will contain DRM and will only be available whilst you have an active Apple Music subscription.

As you play music at home, do you need Apple Music or iTunes Match? You could consider creating a second library that does not use iCloud Music library.

Jim

Purchased HD music is being uploaded and replaced with standard 256kbps 16bit music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.