You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is Open Core Legacy patcher safe?

Can I use it?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 9, 2024 1:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2024 7:12 AM

Simon-Glet wrote:
I wonder how Open Core Legacy could brick my Mac? Could you be more specific?

OCLP is 'hackware.' I won't describe what it is supposed to do, but using it entails risks including login loops, app incompatibilities, system instability, kernel panics, failure to boot into Recovery mode & on up to bricking a Mac. Certain uses of OCLP are also illegal.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2024 7:12 AM in response to Simon-Glet

Simon-Glet wrote:
I wonder how Open Core Legacy could brick my Mac? Could you be more specific?

OCLP is 'hackware.' I won't describe what it is supposed to do, but using it entails risks including login loops, app incompatibilities, system instability, kernel panics, failure to boot into Recovery mode & on up to bricking a Mac. Certain uses of OCLP are also illegal.

Aug 29, 2024 4:17 PM in response to Simon-Glet

It disables many or sometimes all of the SIP protections, replaces major parts of the kernel extensions with injected drivers to bypass the hardware requirement limits Apple sets in the OS, overwrites the bootloader and does some strange things to the NVRAM boot arguments.

Some of the configurations it creates are unstable - and the bigger the gap between the OS a computer is supposed to run and the one you try to install, the more unstable it is likely to be.

Even the experienced users in their community forums are transparent about the security holes you have to accept when using it.

Caveat emptor...

Oct 12, 2024 11:24 AM in response to ChristianApplefan

Translation:

It's safe, it depends on the risks that you are willing to have in the possible future, such as login errors, application shutdowns or that the battery runs out in less than 2 hours apart from the computer getting very hot, that's why when I need certain apps in my work I use it but to take care of its useful life I delete it so as not to force

That doesn't sound safe to me.

Aug 3, 2024 6:35 PM in response to Simon-Glet

Simon-Glet wrote:

If have been using Time Machine for years and was able to recover from HDs dying on me. I wonder how Open Core Legacy could brick my Mac? Could you be more specific?
Thanks

Just as having a backup doesn't prevent your hard drive from dying but only allows you to recover your data once you have a new hard drive, having a backup doesn't stop dubious software from damaging your Mac. In that case, having a backup would be great if you had to completely reformat your Mac or buy a new one.

And kudos for backing up regularly. Many people don't.

Aug 29, 2024 5:25 AM in response to AppleMan345

Es seguro depende de los riesgos que estes dispuesto a tener en un posible futuro, como por ejemplo errores de inicio de sesion cierres de aplicaciones o que la bateria se termine en menos de 2 horas a parte de que el ordenador se caliente mucho, es por eso que yo cuando necesito ciertas apps en mi trabajo lo uso pero para cuidar su vida util lo borro para no forzar el ordenador a un sistema operativo el cual Apple no soporta pero es buena opción si no puedes comprarte otro Mac, pero debes saber que si se rompe Apple no se hara cargo

Is Open Core Legacy patcher safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.