You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display mode not working on 2011 iMac and 2013 Mac Pro

Hi I’m trying to use my Mid 2011 21.5 iMac as a display for my 2013 Mac Pro the 2011 running High sierra and 2013 Running Catalina they’ve both been connected by thunderbolt and I’ve tried everything on apples support page saying how to set it up however it is simply not working and im incredibly confused as i would like to get this working for the iMac to become a second display for the mac pro

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Jul 9, 2024 6:41 AM

4 replies

Jul 9, 2024 4:32 PM in response to Daniel1739

wait, what?

The last dozen posters who complained about this not working were not following ANY of the rules, and you are following them ALL.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

so I presume you are already logged out of any user on the iMac and have pressed Command-F2

have you also tried any of these?

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Target display mode not working on 2011 iMac and 2013 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.