You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Quicktime Player 7.2.1 capture camera signal to make a new video?

I am about to buy an old used (cheap) Macbook -- because it has a Firewire 400 port. This way I can connect directly to my 25-year-old Sony Digital-8 camera without having to daisy-chain several expensive adapters to my current Mac. I have several years' worth of Digital-8 tapes I need to digitize. The Macbook has Quicktime Player 7.2.1 on the machine.

My question: Not knowing the interface or features of that old QT Player... Will I be able to capture video by something like File > New Movie Recording? (I have no idea which version of QT Player the image below is from).

Thanks in Advance

Posted on Jul 8, 2024 2:40 PM

2 replies

Jul 9, 2024 12:51 AM in response to SpikeMannion

At least Sonoma QT Player can capture DV (with those two adapters) so an older OS X QT Player should do it as well but I have never tried it because I always used the "old" iMovie 1-6 to capture DV. I still have that old gear but I am now on a holiday and can not test it with QT Player 7 Pro (licenses for the Pro version are no longer sold).

Can Quicktime Player 7.2.1 capture camera signal to make a new video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.